2003 Jan 17 09:13

Re: [vox] Two Bits of Trivia

On Fri, 17 Jan 2003, Robert G. Scofield wrote:

> 1) The instructor pointed to a brand new Gateway that the school had just
> purchased.  He said that there was no documentation on how to access the
> BIOS.  He said that none of the traditional key strokes would get him into
> the BIOS, and that he would have to call Gateway to figure out how to do it.

Try holding down all the keys then starting the computer.  That *must*
work, right?

If that fails, start with the keyboard unplugged.  Some BIOSes, if the
keyboard is missing, will let you into the BIOS to check for errors.

It's also possible corrupting the BIOS checking will let you into the
BIOS because then the BIOS data checksum fails.  It's easy to write BIOS
corrupting program under DOS (the beauty of lack of information hiding :)
but probably not something you wanna risk.

==8<--
> Then he told the class that one of the problems with Linux was that it was
> hard to tweak.  So I spoke up and mentioned that the Linux Users Group of
> Davis had an Installfest once a month, and that therefore there was no
> problem tweaking Linux, and that there was a whole lot of expertise here in
> Yolo County.  Then without any help from me, the instructor went to the black
> board and put up the LUGOD URL.

^_^

-Mark

--