2003 Jan 17 00:33

Re: [vox] [OT] Calculating your vacation time?

Re: [vox] [OT] Calculating your vacation time?

My goodness...

Yeah, I thought about making the program as flexible as possible but that
produced too many variables.  And I did consider, and did try, using a
database program (Access, to be more specific) but that fell to pieces
because I'd never learned to use Access (but the Intro to Databases
class came in handy with figuring out some of the basics.)

I ended up having some chats with the management people and was able to
eliminate some factors to a point where I could write a simple Excel
spreadsheet.  Now our secretary fill out a few cells to figure out our
vacation time.  And the program is simple enough that if our policy ever
changes regarding calculating the vacation time, changing the spreadsheet
program should be a breeze, and I wouldn't even hesitate to scrap the
whole thing and start over.

Thank you for all your insights!

-Mark ^_^

On 16 Jan 2003, Richard S. Crawford wrote:

> And beware that rules in HR regarding how vacation time is allotted and
> used can change without notice.  A buddy of mine does just what you're
> doing, but he does it in FileMaker Pro for the DMV, and it's not an easy
> task.
>
> The point is, you should probably avoid hard-coding some of these rules
> into your system if you can avoid it.
>

> On Thu, 2003-01-16 at 13:16, Rod Roark wrote:
> > I don't have vacation time.  ;-)
> >
> > Don't do it until she writes down EXACTLY what all the
> > rules are.  Otherwise you will be forever stuck fixing
> > "bugs" in "your" program.
> --
> --
> Slainte,
> Richard S. Crawford
> AIM: Buffalo2K / Y!: rscrawford / ICQ: 11640404
> http://www.mossroot.com http://www.stonegoose.com
> "It is only with our heart that we can see clearly.  What is essential
> is
> invisible to the eye."  --Antoine de Saint Exupery

Mark K. Kim
http://www.cbreak.org/
PGP key available upon request.