2003 Jan 07 23:07

Re: [vox] Ponder, ponder... perhaps a silly notion

Re: [vox] Ponder, ponder... perhaps a silly notion

begin Richard S. Crawford <rscrawford@mossroot.com>
> The kind folks at Red Hat have informed me that the reason for the mess up
> with my rpm database seems to be a bug on the RH8.0 installation media.
>
> I dunno, seems like a good enough reason to switch distros to me.  What do
> you all think?

stick with redhat.  at least for now.  you violated the guiding
principle of non-debian, non-slackware, non-gentoo linux:

never install a "dot oh".   :-)

i know some people who wait until the "dot two" to install redhat.

> I've heard many good things about Debian, but I've also heard that
> installing it is not for the faint of heart -- and when it comes to
> installing OS's, I am among the faintest (I get queasy at the thought of
> upgrading from Win98 to Win98SE).

heh.   don't install debian then.  some people say installing debian is
easy.  i say they're just gurus who don't remember what it was like to
be a non-guru.

rick moen said some good things about libranet.  so did rusty.  it's
based on debian, so it has debian's strengths while fixing some of its
weaknesses too (like the installation process).

similarly, there's something called progeny, but i think it's defunct
for awhile.

> The main thing is, I'd like to keep as much of my current configuration as
> possible... my home directory, and so on.  Is it even possible to do this?

absolutely.  that's one of the whole points of using linux.  anything is
possible!

it would be easiest if /home was on its own partition, but even that's
not necessary.

when i upgraded from suse to debian, i bzip2'ed up /home, /usr/local (i
make extensive use of /usr/local) and /etc).

also, /usr/src could be useful if you keep your .config's from kernel
compiles.

pete