2003 Jan 07 23:39

[vox] Ponder, ponder... perhaps a silly notion

[vox] Ponder, ponder... perhaps a silly notion

The kind folks at Red Hat have informed me that the reason for the mess up with my rpm database seems to be a bug on the RH8.0 installation media.

I dunno, seems like a good enough reason to switch distros to me. What do you all think?

I've heard many good things about Debian, but I've also heard that installing it is not for the faint of heart -- and when it comes to installing OS's, I am among the faintest (I get queasy at the thought of upgrading from Win98 to Win98SE). I'd also like to keep Ximian Evolution on my system, and Evolution does not appear to be available for that platform.

The main thing is, I'd like to keep as much of my current configuration as possible... my home directory, and so on. Is it even possible to do this?

Hm, perhaps everything will look better tomorrow morning after I've had a chance to sleep and call Red Hat's customer service line and curse them out for a bit.

Sliante,
Richard S. Crawford

http://www.mossroot.com
AIM: Buffalo2K ICQ: 11646404 Y!: rscrawford
MSN: underpope@hotmail.com

"It is only with the heart that we see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye." --Antoine de Saint Exupéry

"Push the button, Max!"