2003 Jan 06 22:39

Re: [vox] expectation of privacy on an open mailing list?

Re: [vox] expectation of privacy on an open mailing list?

Quoting Richard S. Crawford (rscrawford@mossroot.com):

> According to copyright law, as soon as something is put down in tangible
> form -- written on paper or saved to an electronic file such as an e-mail
> -- then it is automatically copyrighted.  This very e-mail that I am
> writing right now is, in fact, protected by copyright law.  The only way
> that something is not copyrighted is if the creator of a work explicitly
> states that the work is to be placed in the public domain.

According to _some_ who've studied the USA Copyright Act (and similar
bodies of law in other jurisdictions), there's actually no provision in
law for placing a work in the public domain.  Opinion is divided about
the effect of such a statement:  Some say it has no effect; others say
that constitutes an irrevocable licence for unlimited use.  Nobody will
know for sure unless/until a judge rules on the question.

It seems unlikely that the law would permit putting a creative work in
the public domain, as that would permit evasion of liability.  However:
IANAL.  TINLA.

--
Cheers,                                      "My file system's got no nodes!"
Rick Moen                                    "How does it shell?"