2003 Jan 07 11:15

Re: [vox] expectation of privacy on an open mailing list?

On Mon, Jan 06, 2003 at 09:30:17PM -0800, Lorie Obal wrote:
> Here's one for the aspiring lawyers out there:
>
> I've been monitoring a list I've subscribed to - and anyone can subscribe
> - when I found this included in some of the e-mails posted to the list:
>
> "
> This electronic mail transmission contains confidential and/or
> privileged
> information intended only for the person(s) named.  Any use,
> distribution,
> copying or disclosure by another person is strictly prohibited.
> "
> This poses an interesting question.  Can someone forward information which
> may be of interest to someone else with such a tag from an openly
> "subscribeable" list?  Is the author assuming an ability to copyright that
> doesn't exist?

I've seen these before.  I think these are often corporate-induced
taglines that people either don't realize they're splatting into their
mailing list post, or don't care.

Your best bet is to e-mail them and say "what the heck does _that_ mean?"

That kind of wording really doesn't make sense on a public forum posting :^)

Note: IANAL.