[vox] new MS vulnerabilities: http://www.lugod.org/microsoft/

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=569&ncid=738&e=1&u=/nm/20021213/tc_nm/tech_microsoft_security_dc

summary: 8 new vulnerabilities found in MS java VM ranging fropm
"critical" to "low".

basically, if your point IE to a hostile web page (or even if you read a
hostile email via outlook), arbitarary code can be executed with root
privs.  like formatting your hard drive.

imagine that.  read an email, and your hard drive gets blown away.
yeah, i'd call that critical.   :-)

there are two options for closing the java VM security hole:

1. go to http://www.microsoft.com/java/vm/dl_vm40.htm to update your VM.

2. get rid of windows (and install linux).  :)

pete

ps- bill, this is a good one for our "why not" page.