[vox] Linux on Pentium 4

Greetings
    As a rank beginner, i am thinking along the lines of
running my nice new "knoppix 3.1" OS on a nice new box with
a Pentium 4 processor and "hyper-threading Technology"
(Intel 845PEBT2 motherboard), the big idea being to make use
of GIMP in my digital imagery endeavors. I'm currently
generating 40 mb+ pic files, and my IMAC dawdles
excessively. Then there is the feeling that if i buy a new
dual processor MAC G4 and a full version of PhotoShop for
OSX, i will have been had.

    Wot think? any advise would be appreciated. My thanks to
Micah Cowan, but i have given up on the idea of running
Linux on my Mac.

    No flaming, please. I already glow in the dark thanks to
Kaiser Permanente and a pot full of chemicals.....

George Tranter