Re: [vox] OT "auto-out-of-office" replies == get robbed ?

Re: [vox] OT "auto-out-of-office" replies == get robbed ?

begin Rick Moen <rick@linuxmafia.com>
> Quoting ME (dugan@passwall.com):
>
> > Clever. Discussed ages ago on security lists and in many forums: the risks
> > associated with automated "out of office" e-mail responses.
> >
> > "Thieves now using mailing lists to spam users and find "out of office, on
> > vacation" notices to figure out who to rob...
> >
> > http://www.vnunet.com/News/1137316
>
> But this trick really only works on mailing lists that have made the
> disasterously bad choice of auto-munging the Reply-To header.  Nobody
> _we_ know is dumb enough to do that.
>
> <ducking and running>

and nobody _we_ know is dumb enough to make the disasterously bad choice
of aggravating a list administrator who's just itching to make good on
your promise to unsubscribe from the mailing lists...

<ducking and running>

pete