Re: [vox] Linux Word Processors?

On Wed, 4 Dec 2002, Robert G. Scofield wrote:

> Unlike most Linux users, I think there is a real problem getting a good
> wordprocessor.  Unfortunately the ones for Windows are better.  I am
> wondering what people think of Open Office and KWord.
>
> How is Open Office different from Star Office (which I can't stand)?

Depending on which version od SO you are recalling, they are radically
different. Open Office is much better at resource use, is cleaner, faster
and handles MS file types pretty damn well (so much so that its my default
wordd-processor on linux and win, althoough I still keep a copy of the MS
Offic suite just in case, I havent had to use it in a long time)

The presentation side had improved considerably (should you deign to use
such fluffery), but it still isn't ready fro prime time at an accountants
office (Excel is still the tougher workhorse),  and there is no neato
wizrd interface to a db (which smeone should write...just to spite the
naysayers...maybe integrate pyDesigner or something similar into OO).

> Is anyone using KWord?  Does anyone like KWord?  What are the problems with
> KWord?

KWord is ok for the basic stuff, but anything beyond that and yo are
asking for a segfault buffet...but i still like it better than Abiword.