[vox] Re: Mean to Linux... Mean to OpenSource... :-/

[vox] Re: Mean to Linux... Mean to OpenSource... :-/

On Wednesday, Nov 27 2002, Joel Baumert spake thus:

> I was having two problems.  First, sendmail was listening on
> 127.0.0.1 instead of an external interface.

A default setup in most Linux distributions.  Security reasons.

> I was able to solve that problem, but I am still having a problem
> with sendmail rejecting outside mail.

From the message you included below, there are a few potential
problems.

From the looks of it, you're using this machine as the mail gateway to
your domain.  If that's truly the case, yes, you're right, you will
need a mail alias for each user that receives mail in your domain.  A
sample entry would look something like this:

kender:  user@the_machine_where_his_mail_spool_resides.yourdomain.blah

However, If the machine in question is supposed to be the machine
where the mail spool for each user resides you will need to list
yourdomain.com in the /etc/mail/local-host-names so the mail machine
knows that its supposed to deliver mail locally for the users at that
domain.  An actual user account with that name will need to exist on
that machine or you'll receive a user unknown message like what was
shown in your post.

If this is a machine that is already receiving mail from a mail
gateway, you need to make sure that whatever hostname is being used to
relay the mail to that machine (the right-hand side of the "@" symbol)
is listed in /etc/mail/local-host-names so that the sendmail daemon
knows to use local delivery for those users at that domain.

> Has anyone seen this before?

It's pretty much the most common configuration snafu with sendmail.
You're not alone.

> I saw something on a newsgroup that suggested setting up aliases,
> but I didn't have to do that in the past.

If it's the mail gateway, yes, if it's not, then it's probably the
/etc/mail/local-host-names file.

> Its probably something simple that I'm missing.  I have been able to
> get away with linux-conf in the past for setting up sendmail...

This probably isn't about aliases since you mention not having used
them before, but knowing how to work with the /etc/aliases file is
pretty essential to proper mail administration with sendmail.

Don't forget to restart the sendmail daemon after you've made the
changes.

Also, I'm no sendmail guru so it's possible that I'm completely
mis-diagnosing your problem.  Take what I say with a grain of salt
:-).