Re: [vox] New web page :)

On Sun, 2002-12-01 at 16:45, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> begin Matthew Johnson <matthew@psychohorse.com>
> > On Sun, 2002-12-01 at 15:36, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > > matt,
> > >
> > > are you really in charge the site?  kudos!  it looks great.  i hope it
> > > takes off.  it certainly has potential!
> > >

> > Yes, I am in charge, but I used phpnuke from phpnuke.org for its basis.
> > Making a web page from scratch was way too much in terms of skill and
> > more importantly, time. Do...You don't think I should go for the
> > Linuxgames.com theme? :).
>
> heh.  sure.  i love that "unreadable" look to a website.
>
> i also love websites that have the word "linux" in the URL and then when
> you look at the source, it's all DOS text.   ;)
>
> man, i wish someone would put linuxgames out of my misery.  maybe
> someone should create a script to grab all content out of linuxgames.com
> and put it in a browser neutral, low graphics-impact
> wereallyuselinuxtoplaygames.org.   :)

Unlike Bill, maybe Linuxgames people are good coders, just bad web
designers :).

> > > one worry - what's the deal with the amazon plug?
> > >

> > Oh, thats left over from the sites origins, thanks for letting me know.
> > It shall be replaced by something else. But for now its deactivated.
> >
> > Thanks for teh feedback..Anything else that could be covered by the
> > category simulations? Maybe anything you'd like to see put up?
>
> maybe a few.
>
> 1. replace that animated gif with a nice png logo.  bill might be
>    agreeable to whip up a logo if you asked nicely.  he has a talent
>    for that kind of stuff.  no animated gifs.  i used to like them a
>    lot.  now they just give me headaches.

Almost there now...Not quite png, but its not animated.

> 2. i like the prominent search thing on top and in the middle.  but
>    the phpnuke logo needs to go.  it's too front and center.  you
>    already have 2 other phpnuke logos on the page.

There going slowly but surely!

> 3. i guess some people like long navigation bars.  they just confuse me
>    since i like to scan and access visual info very quickly.  try to
>    figure out which "modules" you actually want to implement and get rid
>    of the rest.  maybe 10 would be enough.

Sure...Its kind of like creating pizza, always want to add an extra
topping.

> 4. the blue might work.  if you want to be cute, you might want to make
>    the border larger and put clouds and some airplanes sprinked around
>    the border (since it is a simulation site).

Sounds good, will try and make it effective.

> 5. is this a game-only site?  there are other types of simulations, like
>    pspice and stuff.  you might want to make a "survey" question "should
>    we include all types of simulations or just games".

Sounds lieka  good survey, but have been thinking along similer lines.
May need to tidy up my forum section, only issue I'm having is trying to
delete the darn things, doesn't seem to be an easy "click delete"
function.

> 6. it's a little wierd that the news item "site opens!" takes up only
>    half the width of the center column.  you might want to consider
>    making only 2 columns (get rid of fluff like "who's online", "old
>    articles", "big story of today" and "information".  combine the left
>    and right columns into one column on the left.  that'll give you a
>    big wide open space for news and announcements.  lots of room for
>    stories and whatnot.

Will check into that.

> 7. lugod is now expecting a talk on phpnuke within the next year.  ;-)

That would be fun, hopefully within a year it will last more than 5
minutes :).

> don't consider these recommendations per se -- i'm just throwing out a
> stream of consciousness.    :-)

Not bad suggestions Pete. Thanks for taking the time to share :)

> pete
Matthew Johnson

Public Key

9560 AE15 A443 7FE5 E927  84D2 CD17 CF25 405C B240