January 6: Social gathering

Re: [vox] New web page :)

begin Matthew Johnson <matthew@psychohorse.com>
> On Sun, 2002-12-01 at 15:36, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > matt,
> >
> > are you really in charge the site?  kudos!  it looks great.  i hope it
> > takes off.  it certainly has potential!
> >

> Yes, I am in charge, but I used phpnuke from phpnuke.org for its basis.
> Making a web page from scratch was way too much in terms of skill and
> more importantly, time. Do...You don't think I should go for the
> Linuxgames.com theme? :).

heh.  sure.  i love that "unreadable" look to a website.

i also love websites that have the word "linux" in the URL and then when
you look at the source, it's all DOS text.   ;)

man, i wish someone would put linuxgames out of my misery.  maybe
someone should create a script to grab all content out of linuxgames.com
and put it in a browser neutral, low graphics-impact
wereallyuselinuxtoplaygames.org.   :)

> > one worry - what's the deal with the amazon plug?
> >

> Oh, thats left over from the sites origins, thanks for letting me know.
> It shall be replaced by something else. But for now its deactivated.
>
> Thanks for teh feedback..Anything else that could be covered by the
> category simulations? Maybe anything you'd like to see put up?

maybe a few.

1. replace that animated gif with a nice png logo.  bill might be
   agreeable to whip up a logo if you asked nicely.  he has a talent
   for that kind of stuff.  no animated gifs.  i used to like them a
   lot.  now they just give me headaches.

2. i like the prominent search thing on top and in the middle.  but
   the phpnuke logo needs to go.  it's too front and center.  you
   already have 2 other phpnuke logos on the page.

3. i guess some people like long navigation bars.  they just confuse me
   since i like to scan and access visual info very quickly.  try to
   figure out which "modules" you actually want to implement and get rid
   of the rest.  maybe 10 would be enough.

4. the blue might work.  if you want to be cute, you might want to make
   the border larger and put clouds and some airplanes sprinked around
   the border (since it is a simulation site).

5. is this a game-only site?  there are other types of simulations, like
   pspice and stuff.  you might want to make a "survey" question "should
   we include all types of simulations or just games".

6. it's a little wierd that the news item "site opens!" takes up only
   half the width of the center column.  you might want to consider
   making only 2 columns (get rid of fluff like "who's online", "old
   articles", "big story of today" and "information".  combine the left
   and right columns into one column on the left.  that'll give you a
   big wide open space for news and announcements.  lots of room for
   stories and whatnot.

7. lugod is now expecting a talk on phpnuke within the next year.  ;-)

don't consider these recommendations per se -- i'm just throwing out a
stream of consciousness.    :-)

pete