2002 Nov 20 19:47

Re: [vox] Election results

On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 04:49:03PM -0800, Mark K. Kim wrote:
> Who wrote this voting system and how do we know nobody's stuffing the
> ballots?

I did.  And unless they have access to the server, they can't alter anything.

(If you vote over and over again, it just changes your vote.
So if you vote for A B and C, and then re-vote for X Y and Z, it will
register your votes as only for X Y and Z in the end.)

> Can we vote twice if we register as members twice under
> different names?

I'd hope we'd have noticed that. ;)

> Since the system keeps track of who voted how, are the
> results of our voting gonna be published anywhere, like in the LUGOD
> Weekly?

No. ;)

> How do we know the system works as advertised?

I guess we'll find out? ;)

> Where is the advertisement about how the system works?

How's this:

  * NEW, IMPROVED! *

  Bill Kendrick's PHP, Perl and Shell-script-based voting system for LUGOD!
  "It works!"

> Where is the voting system sourcecode if it's open source, and if not why
> not?

After the polls are closed, maybe I'll release it to the world for people
to laugh at. ;^)

> Is the code bug free and how do we know it's bug free?

Probably.  And because I tested it.  (I also designed it to be Bug Free(tm))

> Is the code run on a Pentium with the
> rounding bug?

I'm not sure where division comes into voting.
(Well, except when you're talking about candidates)

> If the voting system crashes can we ask for a recount?

Sure.  I'll run the "grep | sort | uniq -c" script again if it 'crashes.' ;)

> Can we ask for a recount even if it doesn't crash?  And... do you prefer Coke
> or Pepsi?

Rootbeer.  (Pepsi a close 2nd)