2002 Nov 13 21:09

[vox] Dealing with "God Coders" (was: cheating suspected)

[vox] Dealing with "God Coders" (was: cheating suspected)

If commented code was rewarded equally with features, lack of bugs,
ability to work well with others, and be on time with deadlines and
projects, then there might be more drive for coders to comment.

However, the western work ethic of sacrificing the future work and support
(TCO) for higher immediate productivity reigns supreme.

Employees who do not comment code increse the company's *need* for the
employee, and effectively enhance job security. An employee would be hard
to convince to alter their action to benefit the company and risk thier
own safety.

I say, force people to cross support each other's projects and then
provide a peer based forum for live review of coder's work. The manager
can pick the code they dislike the most (maybe something from 6 months
back) and the put the coder on the spot with zero notice of which code
they would be reviewing.

Then the coder must explain their old project to their peers.

Their God status quickly is lost if they dont remember and have no comments.

IBM has employed this with their coders. It is brutish, but quickly gets
people to make code that at least *they* can understand with zerto prep
time 6 months later. ]:>