2002 Nov 13 22:38

Re: [vox] code sleuths needed - cheating suspected

Re: [vox] code sleuths needed - cheating suspected

actually, there are no exams in this class.  it's pass/fail and
dependent completely on the homeworks.

as for understanding ... it's hard to say.  often physicists use
algorithms without really understanding them.  even i'm guilty of using
the jacobi algorithm for diagonalizing matrices and not knowing the
details of the algorithm (although i have a "big picture" understanding
of it).

btw, it came out that the code *was* passed from one student to the
other.  i got a confession from the giver.   but the giver of the code
gave it to help understanding, and didn't intend for it be copied.

i'm meeting with the taker in a couple of hours.  i'm curious if the
student will stick to "i didn't copy the code" when i tell the student
that i know that a copy of the program exchanged hands.

you know, i don't even mind people sharing code.  if it's used to help
understanding.  maybe that's too much of a temptation.  maybe i
should mind it.

pete

begin Rod Roark <rod@sunsetsystems.com>