2002 Nov 13 11:20

[vox] code sleuths needed - cheating suspected

[vox] code sleuths needed - cheating suspected

dear all,

i suspect a student has copied a homework assignment from another
student.  call them "student 1" and "student 2".

here's what i suspect to be the original (from student2).  i wrote parts
of this code myself to give the student examples of certain techniques:

   www.dirac.org/code2.c

this is what i suspect to be the copy:

   www.dirac.org/code1.c

here is an example of a previous code turned in by student 1:

   www.dirac.org/code1a.c

i won't mention the reasons why i think the two codes are similar.
instead, i'll let other people analyze it themselves.  i first suspected
copying because as i read through student 1's code, i kept saying to
myself "this is my own coding style".  then i remembered that i wrote
part of student 2's code who came to me for help with the program.  the
two of them are friends and work together.

i'm curious to know what people think.

pete