2002 Oct 30 23:35

Re: [vox] Re: [vox-tech] Debian Woody new install - eth0 issues

Re: [vox] Re: [vox-tech] Debian Woody new install - eth0 issues

begin Jeff Newmiller <jdnewmil@dcn.davis.ca.us>
> On Wed, 30 Oct 2002, Richard Burkhart wrote:
>
> > I entered:
> > > ifconfig eth0 down
> > > ifconfig eth0 (ip address) up
> > > route add default gw 192.168.1.254
> >
> > at ROUTE ADD ... I got:
> >   default: Host Name lookup failure
> >
> > ???huuuuuuuuhh??
>
> I think before you can add a default route you have to have a route to the
> network(s) you are directly connected to...

i used to think this also.  a book i read mentioned it, but i've since
found that i don't need to add the route before adding a gateway.

but it can't hurt.  :)

> The routing table you showed today seemed reasonable, assuming the ip
> numbers in it were correct.

> a) are you using ip numbers to test? (dns may not yet be functional)
> b) did you install a firewall package? (could be blocking net access
> because it is not configured... might want to remove it for now)

it can also be that the nic isn't configured correctly.  i asked him to
make sure there are no resource conflicts using /proc.

also, richard, i don't know what kind of nic you're using, but it would
be prudent to look the card up in the ethernet howto and see if there
are any nota benes or gotchas about your card.

pete