2002 Oct 30 23:35

RE: [vox] Re: [vox-tech] Debian Woody new install - eth0 issues

On Wed, 30 Oct 2002, Richard Burkhart wrote:

> Sorryaboutthat ...  Last night when I posted the output to you, I'd entered
> "route".  That gave me the single-line of output from last night.
>
> This morning, after seeing someone else's email on list, I entered "route
> +n"  That's when I got the 2-line output that I sent to you.

um, "route -n", right?

>    ** ** **
>
> I entered:
> > ifconfig eth0 down
> > ifconfig eth0 (ip address) up
> > route add default gw 192.168.1.254
>
> at ROUTE ADD ... I got:
>   default: Host Name lookup failure
>
> ???huuuuuuuuhh??

I think before you can add a default route you have to have a route to the
network(s) you are directly connected to... so,

  route add -net 192.168.1.0

and then

  route add default gw 192.168.1.254

The odd way the error was reported is due to the ambiguity in this
command.  Routes can be added for networks or hosts, and the syntax allows
for names to be used rather than ip numbers.  "default" is really supposed
to be shorthand for 0.0.0.0, but it seems like the program attempted a
name lookup on "default" and failed... but I don't know the exact logic it
followed.

The routing table you showed today seemed reasonable, assuming the ip
numbers in it were correct.

Some possibilities:

a) are you using ip numbers to test? (dns may not yet be functional)
b) did you install a firewall package? (could be blocking net access
because it is not configured... might want to remove it for now)

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing