2002 Oct 29 14:32

[vox] Linus on Microsoft...

This interesting tidbit comes from
http://www.oetrends.com/cgi-bin/page_display.cgi?131

*****

On Microsoft...
If you can [build] anything 'cheap, plentiful and good enough' then there
is no point in building anything else. Microsoft is expert at this. The
reason Microsoft has problems with Linux is that we are 'cheap, plentiful
and good enough' unlike every single OS ever before in the market.

Microsoft has actually been the only OS company that didn't try to make it
difficult for their users. I would prefer using Windows to using most
commercial Unixes. Most commercial Unixes came with a stupid licensing
manager. When you get the machine it has nothing interesting on it: It
doesn't have a single game. You have to pay for every single add-on. So,
here comes Microsoft, and they say, 'Hey, customers are people to.
Customers, let's give them what they want. And, Surprise! Surprise! They
made it. That's fairly fundamental to any industry. Quite frankly I don't
like Microsoft, but I think they did that.

Now they find themselves in this situation that they own the customer. And
they just want to bleed the customer maybe a bit more than the customer
wants to get bled. [So] I'm personally not that worried.

--
R. Douglas Barbieri
doug@dooglio.net

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people
   discipline themselves."

-- Thomas Jefferson

GPG Public key : http://www.dooglio.net/dooglio.gpg