2002 Oct 25 08:32

RE: [vox] How would you spend $500 on a new box?

RE: [vox] How would you spend $500 on a new box?

Compaq servers still rock.  HP tossed their brands and kept the Proliant
series after the merger.  The Proliant's have always proven reliable for me.
The Compaq desktop seems to be working out in my current environment.  We
just switched to the E5xx series when they discontinued the HP Pavilions.
Just avoid the consumer lines.

> The amount of money that can be made in building your own PC
> is lost and has been for a while unless you go with the
> cheapest parts and then you get what you pay for (most of the
> time) and your reputation goes with the customer who buys the stuff.

I spec'd Dell desktops for a non-profit I support remotely years ago.  They
have 5 now and the onsite warrantee has saved me from two 4 hour drives.  The
warrantee got them back up the next day.  If someone really want's to save
money, look at the refurbished ones.  They come with the same warrentee.

-sp