January 6: Social gathering
2002 Oct 23 13:59

[vox] Neither a rocker nor a mocker

He also wrote:

> if you mock anyone

This was in reply to my:

> mocking dumb-ass arguments others have posted (which I was and am).

I believe there to be a communications gap, here:  Peter was voicing one
of the list's management requirements ("2. No flaming. "), as preluding
mocking anyONE.  However, I had spoken of mocking ARGUMENTS.

Now, a lot of people seem to feel there's _no difference_; that, if I
dare to assert that something you said has a logical flaw or otherwise
lacks merit, that it's right and proper for you to take extreme personal
offence.  This view is especially popular in the more dippy subcultures
of California.

In other parts of the world, such as, oh, logic classes and technical
user groups, it's understood that the merits of assertions of fact can
and should be debated independently of the speakers' own _personal_
merits.

Anyhow, if Peter feels that no poster's assertion of fact may be
made fun of, as such is deemed to constitute "flaming", then he need
only clarify _on_ http://lists.lugod.org/mailman/listinfo/vox that such
is his stance, and I'll immediately and permanently sever membership on
all mailing lists he administers.  No hard feelings; just my view that
meaningful technical discussion cannot be conducted on such a forum.

I _do_ apologise for posting in anger, which I will take case not to do
in the future.  I just expect better standards of logic from intelligent
people than "Anyone who holds strong views on question of fact [foo] is
probably an elitist", and it's very disappointing to see such slop from
people I hold in high regard.

--
Cheers,     "Learning Java has been a slow and tortuous process for me.  Every
Rick Moen   few minutes, I start screaming 'No, you fools!' and have to go