2002 Oct 22 00:36

Re: [vox] One more test...I promise!

Well, I guess we have two options, stay with what we know or update to the
latest or whatever latest we can afford either by resources or knowledge.
Up until 2001, I had a pentium 233 that I bought back in 97, and it worked
wonderfully for me.  It ran windows 95 and all the software I wanted.  Of
course I had some issues, but nothing really to write home about.  I also
had a linux system that I got sometime in 99, er, real early 2000, and it
was a 5x86 running at a whopping 133 MHZ.  It also ran well, and ran
slackware linux.  I had the same disk set(1 550MB drive and a 1.6 GB drive)
on it from that time.  It ran excellent, and did everything I wanted it to
do(mostly network stuff like DNS, DHCP, NAT, and the ilk.)  Granted if I
compiled software it was definitely time to go watch TV, but considering how
often I did that, it was not that big a deal, or better put, the bigness of
the deal was such that I could put up with it.  During that time I had
various unix systems on my desk where I worked, anything from a Sun Ultra2
all the way to an HP workstation running unix.  At home, I had only a couple
things I did, stuff like home finances and entertainment, and music playing.
In that was there ever an issue, a Pentium 233 did not play MP3s very well,
it was workable, but again at the time I didn't want to mess with it.  Well,
back in late 2000 and early 2001, I decided I wanted to update my systems to
something a bit faster.  So I went with a Pentium III system after an AMD
system had odd errors running windows, so my windows system is a Pentium III
and my linux system is an AMD Athlon system.  What I got from it, is
marginally faster compiles(stuff that took 20-30 minutes now takes around 2
minutes) and stronger audio caps on the linux system.  Some of that is nice,
I admit.  On the windows side it was worse.  Rather than running
quake3(Elite Forces) at 29.7 fps, I got to run it at 63 fps.  It was faster
yes, but not enough to justify it.  Now im stuck in a cycle of slowly having
more random crashes over months and then one day waking up and trying to
boot and getting an error, then reinstalling and repeating the same cycle.
It sucks.  I really wish I had stayed with what I had.  It might have been
old tech, but it worked, and worked well enough that I was 90% happy with
it.  Now what does this have to do with pine vs mutt, or elm vs mutt?  It
means that unless elm is so broke that I feel I have no hope of it working,
I won't switch to something else.  I may look at whatever new fangled thing
is out there(and I do,) but I won't switch unless whatever I see so
impresses me that it forces me to do so.  Unless of course someone or
something nerfs elm, in which case Im screwed, and will do what I need to do
to be unscrewed so to speak.  And to answer your direct question I dont feel
that people should switch any OS just to do so, or just because its cool.
That is my opinion, on a subject that basically comes down to the equiv of
religion, so please lets not go there.