2002 Oct 16 21:58

Re: [vox] need help: long boring question about the GPL

On Wed, 16 Oct 2002, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> begin Mark K. Kim <markslist@cbreak.org>
> > FSF has made it clear that they can't enforce GPL violations on software
> > that's not copyrighted by FSF.
>
> reference, please.  how did they make this clear?

Slashdot:

 http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/09/14/1844201&mode=thread&tid=117

Obviously I need a girlfriend.

> does that mean i should ignore the file named "license.txt" that is pure
> GPL as well as the "--about" switch that also says pure GPL?

In computer programming, what do you do when the comment in the sourcecode
conflicts with the code itself? -- You try to figure out what happened.
Generally, either the code is wrong due to some typo or error, or the
comment wasn't updated after the code was changed.  Whichever the case,
it's fairly easy to figure out what happened if you know enough about
what's going on.