2002 Oct 19 15:27

Re: [vox] need help: long boring question about the GPL

On Wed, Oct 16, 2002 at 12:25:42PM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> bill alexander gave a talk about a program called chord (version 3).  i
> have a question about licensing --- the terms are big mess.
> i'd like to focus on the restrictions that say:
>
> a. you're not allowed to distribute a modified version of the program
>    without written consent of the authors.
>
> b. you can't use the source code in any other commercial or public
>    domain software.

Would it be horrible to suggest having the unmodified program and include
a diff in a seperate file of what you've changed? Then you're not disting
modified code, but still including your enhancements...

Kind of a kludge, but at least it seems like you wouldn't be violating
any part of their messed up license attempts.

-yams