2002 Oct 11 12:44

Re: [vox] Which Window Manager/Desktop do you use?

Re: [vox] Which Window Manager/Desktop do you use?

begin joseph e arruda <zeruch@dibona.com>
> On Fri, 11 Oct 2002, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > you're killing me...  ain't no way i'm going to load all those
> > dependencies for konsole, but it DOES sound ultra nice!
>
> ah, but you'll load a different big-assed set of libs for Gnome...pot or
> kettle, what is difference?

the difference is that "one bloat" plus "one bloat" equals "two bloat".

but more important is that gnome uses libraries which are already
used by non-GNOME, non-KDE X applications, like gtk, glib and gdk.
these aren't GNOME libraries.  their meta libraries, used by non-GNOME
specific apps like gimp.   i use the glib libraries in all my programs.
that's not GNOME specific either.

i _don't_ have many gnome specific libraries on my system.

so to answer your question, i say "no" to both GNOME and KDE.  i make a
few exceptions for some of the GNOME libraries, but not many.

> > maybe i'll try to make a statically linked version so i don't have to
> > load a million MB of libraries.
>
> This is what cheap HDDs and lots of ram is for anyway...then again, I used
> to work for a HW company.

this is a naeve view.  there's a lot more to a well oiled, highly
functional linux machine than just kitchen sinking everything onto a
cheap HD.

think about the extra work that things like ld.so and bash need to do
when you load every piece of cruft onto your system.

when i started to play around with ld.so, i saw first hand what happens
when you start pointing ld.so.conf everywhere.  it really makes a
difference.

pete