2002 Oct 03 21:04

Re: [vox] fwd [dmarti@zgp.org: [svlug] DMCA reform]

This same battle has been fought again and again as
a new media type becomes popular... VHS, audio tapes,
sheet music, etc.  The arguments are largely the same
and for the most part it turns out the media producers
open new markets giving the customers what they want.

The DMCA is the reaction of some of the current
content distributors looking at their marketplace
being made irrelevant.

The audio recording industry has lost sight of the
real value they add... They see themselves as content
producers, though they don't write or perform any music.
They are promoters... Their job is to find talent and
get it to the masses.  The Internet provides a great
forum for that and eventually many of the traditional
companies will be replaced with companies that place
the artists closer to their consumers.

The consolidation of radio stations is going to force
people to the Internet because it will be one of the
few places you can hear something different because
the large radio stations are pretty risk adverse.

We shall see.  It will be an interesting decade and
I would not recommend investing in entertainment
companies that produce CDs and movies.

Joel