2002 Oct 03 16:02

Re: [vox] fwd [dmarti@zgp.org: [svlug] DMCA reform]

begin Joel Baumert <kender@geeksource.net>
> I tried to find the actual votes on the DMCA, but couldn't...

jeez.  i spent almost 10 minutes on it and i couldn't find any mention
of the voting records either.  wierd.

> I found a message board that says it passed 99-0 in the
> Senate and on a voice vote in the house.  Followed of course
> by President Clinton signing it.
>
> I don't think that Ose was the rep then... I'm pretty sure
> it was Vic Fazio at the time.

i dunno.  fazio seems like a long time ago.

> I don't know how Ose feels
> about the DMCA or any follow on bills, but it sounds like
> everyone in Congress thought it was a good idea at the time :-).

hopefully, the congress voted according to ignorance.  the issue has
grown much bigger than anyone really suspected, i think.  let's hope
that the big brouhaha (that's my favorite word, by the way) has
enlightened capitol hill.

pete