2002 Oct 03 14:57

[vox] fwd [dmarti@zgp.org: [svlug] DMCA reform]

Davis is in California's 3rd district and is represented by
The Honorable Doug Ose:

  215 Cannon
  Washington, D. C> 20515
  (202) 225-5716

-bill!
pr@lugod.org

----- Forwarded message from Don Marti <dmarti@zgp.org> -----

Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 14:12:25 -0700
From: Don Marti <dmarti@zgp.org>
Subject: [svlug] DMCA reform
To: Silicon Valley Linux User Group <svlug@lists.svlug.org>

Members in the 16th Congressional district should write to Rep. Zoe
Lofgren to thank her for supporting the rights of Linux users to
play DVDs and other media.

http://www.house.gov/lofgren/press/107press/021002_release.htm

For those of us in the 14th district, it would be a good idea to
get our Rep., Anna Eshoo, to become a cosponsor.

Here's a letter I just printed -- don't send the exact same letter
but feel free to borrow parts.

\documentclass[letterpaper,10pt]{letter}

\address{Donald B. Marti Jr.\\
99 East Middlefield Rd. \#17\\
Mountain View, CA 94043 USA}

\date{3 October 2002}

\signature{Donald B. Marti Jr.}

\begin{document}

\begin{letter}{The Honorable Anna Eshoo\\
698 Emerson Street\\
Palo Alto, California 94301}

\opening{Dear Representative Eshoo:}

The anticircumvention provisions of the Digital Millennium Copyright
Act (DMCA) have failed to affect copyright infringement while acting
only as an obstacle to the development of new software for business
and education.

Representative Zoe Lofgren's Digital Choice and Freedom Act of 2002
is a welcome reform that will preserve the historic benefits of
copyright while helping software innovators deliver useful products
for digital media artists and customers.

Please become a cosponsor of this legislation and join our 16th
district neighbor in supporting the innovation and free speech that
are so vital to our area.

\closing{Sincerely,}

\end{letter}

\end{document}