2002 Sep 30 12:41

Re: [vox] [OT] pacbell phone bills

I've never had problems with adding up the numbers on the Pacbell phone
bill.  Basically, they do a top-down approach, where they list the totals
first, and list the sections.  Then when you go to each section, they list
the total for the section, then list the sub-sections.  Then subsections
are broken down, if necessary, so on and so forth.  They've always added
up properly for me.

What I've had problems with a couple times is they'd send me the last
bill, and when I pay them, then they'd send me another bill for 1 cent...
probably a rounding error on their computer system.  The first time this
happened, I sent them a check for 1 cent with a note saying, "you guys
realize you spent more than a penny just to bill me for this one penny,
right?"

-Mark

On Mon, 30 Sep 2002, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> hi lugod,
>
> every so often i try to audit my phone bill.  suppose the total charges
> (what pacbell wants me to pay) is Y.  the phone bill appears to be
> broken down into sections, and each section has a gray highlighted area
> that shows the total amount for that section.  like this:
>
>    AT&T charges:
>
>          blah blah blah
>
>    ---------------------------------------------------------
>    |   TOTAL:                                     X1       |
>    ---------------------------------------------------------
>

>    Custom Calling Features:
>
>          blah blah blah
>
>    ---------------------------------------------------------
>    |   TOTAL:                                     X2       |
>    ---------------------------------------------------------
>

> anyway, i've NEVER been able to verify that X1 + ... + XN == Y.
>
> the phone bill seems needlessly cluttered and complicated, but not
> having the individual section totals add up to what pacbell wants me to
> pay is just stepping over the line.
>
> do other people have the same problem?  i'd like to know if it's just MY
> bill that's suffering from this.
>
> pete
>
> --

Mark K. Kim