2002 Sep 26 13:43

[vox] Public Access Terminal ("kiosk")

DCN has come to us asking if we'd help set up a public access terminal
(to be installed at Newsbeat).

They're providing a better system (266MHz or so; don't have the other specs.)
and would like us to install Linux on it.

The purpose of the device will be soley for web browsing - nothing else.
This means we'll need to lock it down fairly well.

The two major suggestions we've discussed include using Mozilla and
the 'Kiosk Project,' or using KDE 3.1.x which has a 'Kiosk Framework'
(which means both the environment and the browser will be 'kiosk ready').

Other suggestions I've received (from SVLUG mailing list, specifcially)
have been "just buy a ThinkNIC" and "Use Lindows."  Both of which are
unacceptable, due to cost (i.e., more than $0.00).

Graham Freeman from CalTEG (and son of ex-Davis-Council-Member Sheryl Freeman)
has also offered to help, if he can.

He and Pete are leaning towards Mozilla, mostly since it's "more well-known"
(although honestly, I know very few people outside of a few Linux users
who actually use Mozilla -- the rest use Internet Explorer)

I'm wondering - has anyone here set anything like this up in the past?
And is anyone else interested in helping with the project?

(So far, the people involved are Robert Nickerson from DCN,
Graham from CalTEG, and Pete, Henry, Mike Simons, Ryan Castelluci, and
myself from LUGOD.)

Thanks!

-bill!
pr@lugod.org