2002 Sep 25 08:54

Re: [vox] [OT] philosophy class about space and time at UCD

Re: [vox] [OT] philosophy class about space and time at UCD

I've taken Dr. Teller's class in the philosophy of space and time.  And
yes, he does indeed delve into curved space and time.  And yes, he is
indeed the son of Ed Teller.

It's a good class, and Dr. Teller is an engaging teacher.  Or at least
he was when I took the class 11 years ago.

Richard "I refuse to believe it's been that long" Crawford

On Tue, 2002-09-24 at 23:25, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> i believe this professor is the son of dr. edward teller, father of the
> hydrogen bomb.
>
> anyway, it looks like an interesting class, and i know some of you are
> interested in einstein's theories of spacetime, so i'm passing this
> along.
>
> i doubt he'll go into detail about curved spacetimes, but i bet he'd
> address fun stuff like the issue of how we can make sense of a world
> where euclid's law of parallelism[1] is tossed into the trashcan.
>
> pete
>
> [1] which is:
>
>    "given any straight line and a point not on it, there exists only one
>    straight line which passes through the point and never intersects the
>    first line, no matter how far they're extended"
>
> which can be used to prove
>
>    "if line A is parallel to line B and line B is parallel to line C
>     then line A must be parallel to line C".
>
> both the postulate and corollary are scrapped in general relativity.
>

> ----- Forwarded message from Eric Minassian <eminassi@lifshitz.ucdavis.edu> -----
>
> Subject: philosophy of space and time course
> Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 23:03:47 -0700
>
> There is a philosophy of space and time (Phi 111) course offered by Teller
> from philosophy department. Here is the info, in case if any one is
> interested, or wants to inform any of their undergrad students interested in
> GR and related topics:
> PHI 111, Space And Time, units 4,  Teller, P.,  MWF    0110-0200P WELLMN
> 119   50  B.
>
> Eric
>
> ----- End forwarded message -----
Slainte,