2002 Sep 24 22:32

Re: [vox] server backups

Quoting Mark K. Kim (markslist@cbreak.org):

> Under *nix systems, backing up generally involves using tape back-ups.
> cpio, I think, is the tool.  Backing up remotely generally involves NFS
> sharing the system, then backing up the NFS share from a different system.

But you could do it across an ssh tunnel, instead.

If you want to run it as a cronjob, with locked-down security:
http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/linux-info/ssh-publickey-process

> PS: Hey... check this out: dump, restore

Because of disk caching, reliable only on unmounted filesystems.

Please see also:
http://linuxmafia.com/pub/linux/backup/
http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Linux/FAQs/backups.html