2002 Sep 18 12:51

Re: [vox] The Dotties

It's like Eric Sate' turning down the Prix de Rome, writing something like
this:

	It would have been better to never have even been nominated.

:-)

On Wed, 18 Sep 2002, Rick Moen wrote:

> Quoting Peter Jay Salzman (p@dirac.org):
>
> > the dottie awards just suck.  the people in charge of dottie awards
> > haven't faintest clue about what a good website is.
>
> Historically, in the years leading up to the dot-com boom and bust, Web
> weeniedom was an easy-employment refuge for intellectual-lightweight
> desktop publishing people.  And that, of course, is exactly how Web
> design was invaded by the wackos who think it's both possible and
> desirable to control the fine details of browser presentation from the
> server end.
>
> I tried briefly to reason with such people, but you can't:  They've
> seen exactly what they want on their Quark Express... I mean Adobe
> Go-Live screens, and refuse to believe that they can't and shouldn't
> try to dictate that exact appearance on all Web browsers.  They'll
> gladly throw away all standards and dictates of common sense towards
> that end.  Their twisted little minds are just wired that way.
>
> You're right:  Being praised by them should be considered an
> embarrassment.
>
> --
> Cheers,     "Learning Java has been a slow and tortuous process for me.  Every
> Rick Moen   few minutes, I start screaming 'No, you fools!' and have to go
> rick@linuxmafia.com       read something from _Structure and Interpretation of
>             Computer Programs_ to de-stress."   -- The Cube, www.forum3000.org

R. Douglas Barbieri
doug@dooglio.net
http://www.dooglio.net

vi: "The way God meant for man to edit text files..."

GPG Public key : http://www.dooglio.net/dooglio.gpg