2002 Sep 18 12:51

Re: [vox] The Dotties

> the dottie awards just suck.  the people in charge of dottie awards
> haven't faintest clue about what a good website is.

Historically, in the years leading up to the dot-com boom and bust, Web
weeniedom was an easy-employment refuge for intellectual-lightweight
desktop publishing people.  And that, of course, is exactly how Web
design was invaded by the wackos who think it's both possible and
desirable to control the fine details of browser presentation from the
server end.

I tried briefly to reason with such people, but you can't:  They've
seen exactly what they want on their Quark Express... I mean Adobe
Go-Live screens, and refuse to believe that they can't and shouldn't
try to dictate that exact appearance on all Web browsers.  They'll
gladly throw away all standards and dictates of common sense towards
that end.  Their twisted little minds are just wired that way.

You're right:  Being praised by them should be considered an
embarrassment.

--
Cheers,     "Learning Java has been a slow and tortuous process for me.  Every
Rick Moen   few minutes, I start screaming 'No, you fools!' and have to go