2002 Sep 18 12:27

Re: [vox] The Dotties

On Wed, Sep 18, 2002 at 11:29:30AM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
>  zach who thinks that:
>
>    www.ucdavis.edu
>
> is a good website.  i mean, hell in handbasket.  i've been at UCD for 6
> friggin years and i STILL can't navigate that sorry excuse for a
> website.  i can barely find the schedule of classes every quarter.

I'm sorry, but you must have never tried to look at:

  http://unitrans.ucdavis.edu/

a year or two ago with CSS disabled.
(Or, under Netscape, JavaScript disabled; which disables
CSS - a well-known bug.)

Back then, the site was made of giant images which were broken up into
small pieces and reassembled with CSS.

So if
you lo
oked a
t them
in with
out CSS
enabled
it
look
ed
liked t
his.

If you were to print _one_ page of the site, it would come out as at least
40 sheets of paper, I swear!

Now, they seem to be doing better.

It's _still_ giant images for the most part (rather than marked up text
or even just separate, well-laid-out _pictures_ of text),
but now it's a frickin' imagemap.

>:^(

At least it appears they have a 'text only' version.
Otherwise I'd like to track down some blind people and see how they feel
about the site.

*grrr!*

It's _NOT_ 1994 anymore!  This is getting OLD.