2002 Sep 15 22:56

[vox] Demo report

I won't be coming to LUGOD tomorrow, so I thought I'd mention yesterday's
demo on VOX.

Mike Simons and I stationed the Co-Op demo kitchen at the demo yesterday,
and we handed out most of the ~15-20 flyer's I had for tomorrow's talk,
and many of the flyers we had for October 1st's talk.

We ended up staying there until long after 6pm - more like 8:30 or so!
(Mike was rebuilding the kernel to finally get ALSA working again so the
box can do sound - that was successful, by the way!)

We had a pretty good flow of 'customers' throughout the entire day, even
'after hours.'  At least 2 co-op workers (or volunteers) came by and chatted
for quite a while.

Interestingly, most of the people who dropped by to talk to us were Mac users!

I'm beginning to think we need to get a Mac running Linux (and, preferably,
MOL - that reminds me; we should get Crossover and/or VMWare for the demo PC).

Most of the Mac folks hadn't switched to OSX yet.  One person (a co-op worker)
walked by and joked "Just use Mac OS X!" - Ironically, he hasn't got it on his
own Mac yet, because he needs to upgrade. ;^)

Finally, the funniest part of the day was when a woman walked up and
quietly took one of each flyer we had out and said to us:
"For my husband... anything to undermine Gates."

;)