2002 Sep 14 10:35

Re: [vox] Microsoft page highlights

on Fri, Sep 13, 2002, Rod Roark (rod@sunsetsystems.com) wrote:
> On Friday 13 September 2002 11:49 am, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> > I've added a new category to LUGOD's "Reasons to Avoid Microsoft" page:
> >
> >   "WOW! If this doesn't scare you, I don't know what does!"
> >
> > (The icon is a little star with a red exclamation point ("!") in it.)
> >

> > It highlights some of the more compelling reasons to avoid Microsoft
> > (either really, really bad/mean things they've done to other companies,
> > huge lies to consumers or the government, and some of the nastiest holes,
> > like the latest Microsoft Word one Pete posted earlier).
> >
> >   http://www.lugod.org/microsoft/?filter=wow
> >

> > If I missed something, or you disagree with some of my choices
> > (I was getting kinda zoned out after looking at the 260 or so articles),
> > please let me know!

> I'd suggest paring it down, removing some of the less
> convincing articles.  Nobody's going to read 260 of them.

No one person may, and that's a good reason to present a prefiltered
list of major goofs.

However 260+ items to pick and choose from could be a very valuable
resource for _other_ sites.

Otherwise, you sort of run the risk of paring a dictionary down to only
100 words, because nobody's ever going to read all 40k in the English
language in one sitting.  Sorry, but that's not the point of a
_reference_ work.

Nice job, Bill.

Peace.

   Reading is a right, not a feature