2002 Sep 10 20:57

Re: [vox] The first programmer...

Quoting Rod Roark (rod@sunsetsystems.com):

> Babbage himself never built a working Analytical Engine...
> neither he nor Ada lived to see one.

The earlier Difference Engine _was_ completed, by the way, and could
compute polynomials to six decimal places.  A few years ago, there was a
project to rebuild it at the Science Museum in London, using only
techniques available to the Victorians.

I remember the staff there, at the time, speculating that the planned
Analytic Engine (larger, accurate to twenty decimal places) actually
_had_ been a feasible project for Babbage's company, albeit barely, and
failed more because of labour relations problems than anything else.

--
Cheers,   "Why is the alphabet in that order?  Is it because of that song?"
Rick Moen                                              -- Steven Wright