2002 Sep 10 12:43

Re: [vox] Open Office vs MS

> On Mon, Sep 09, 2002 at 03:18:46PM -0700, andy wergedal wrote:
> > We agree on something <gasp>
> >
> > I never use password encrypted files. I create pdf's if i
> > do not want anyone to change the contents of the document.

As I understood it, if the end user had a PDF based editor, they could
modify your PDF files, and if eBook format, then the work of our famous
russian computer security professional (last year) could be used to modify
the format. If the PDF file's contents are images instead of searchable
text, then that may be another issue.

On Mon, Sep 09, 2002 at 03:20:50PM -0700, nbs wrote:
> Well, it's less editing the document, and more 'going back and seeing
> what you HAD said before.'
>
> I got a .doc file in an email once, with some offer about affiliating or
> advertising or something website-related.
>
> Anyway, I didn't want to bother DL'ing it and firing up StarOffice, so
> I just saved the file to my shell account at my ISP and ran 'strings' on it.
>
> At the bottom, near my name & address, I saw that of a number of other
> '(potential) clients' they had e-mailed.
>

> Smoooooooth...  (Honestly, I'm sure whoever did it had no idea Word was
> doing that.  But then, that's what you get for not RTFM I guess? ;) )

AFAIK, that is/was an issue with older copies of MS Word. There was
something about it grabbing random bits of memory to fill up the rest of
the end of the file (padding) but since the block of memory that was used
was "random" there was risk of password being transmitted. There was a
post about this risk on BUGTRAQ many years back, and it posed the problems
was seriopus as they (the posters) found the POP password could be found
in an alarming number of word docs created and e-mailed out... Supposedly,
MS fixed this issue, and it went away. Perhpas the issue has returned to
haunt them.

-ME