January 6: Social gathering
2002 Sep 09 14:00

Re: [vox] Open Office vs MS

On Mon, Sep 09, 2002 at 01:33:47PM -0700, Jeff Newmiller wrote:
> There is always a downside to these "automatic" features.  The most direct
> counter to your suggestion is the "overloading" of filename extensions.
> WordStar, WordPerfect, and MS Word all used .DOC extensions, so any word
> processor hoping to export to those types would be unable to decide based
> on the extension you typed.

Well, in that case, I suppose it could pop up a prompt after you hit 'Save'
which asks you to confirm exactly WHICH ".doc" format you wanted.

(Kind of like how The Gimp will say 'Hey, woah there!  This image isn't
256 colors, but that's all GIF can handle?  Export?  Or Cancel?", as well
as ask for other information - GIF comment, transparency, etc.)

> In the paragon-of-stupidity department: One of the more irritating
> behaviors of the "NOTEPAD.EXE"

Do NOT get me started on Notepad, Wordpad, IE, filenames/types, and CR/LF's
ARGH!