2002 Sep 09 10:38

Re: [vox] linux in schools or municipalities

On Sat, 7 Sep 2002, Colin Kelly wrote:
> out here in roseville area i have yet to see public school district
> that uses linux. They  all seem to use microsoft for everything
> including webservers. Not a good idea if you ask me.

I just attended the ribbon cutting ceremony at Margerite Montgomery in
South Davis a few days ago. We received a walking tour from the principal
and I noticed that in the library, classrooms and office were computers
all running Windows 2000 along with Office 2000. I asked the principal if
he knew if Open Source had been considered when the computer systems were
selected and he told me that the district handles all IT decisions.

Would anyone be interested in starting a letter writing campaign from
members of Lugod to local school districts protesting the use of
proprietary software? We could advocate the use of open source. They could
start by using Open Office and Mozilla (or at least Netscape), even if
they stick with M$ Windows. There is no reason why the district couldn't
just buy Walmart specials for desktop computers, preinstalled with
Mandrake Linux. As Maddog said, they are shirking their responsibility if
Open Source wasn't even considered in their IT desicion-making process.

I am planning on writing a letter to my local school district. If anyone
is interested, I would welcome signatures.

--
R. Douglas Barbieri
doug@dooglio.net

vi: "The way God meant for man to edit text files..."

GPG Public key : http://www.dooglio.net/dooglio.gpg