2002 Sep 08 14:55

RE: [vox] [OT] Hosting recomendations

I checked with a few places that did not post their rates, and in each
case, their rates were very much higher than the ones I found advertised.
Many asking $250/month+. This suggesting the old statement could be true,
"If you have to ask about the price, you can't afford it." I stopped
checking for places, as 1 of the 5 I checked sent my address to a spam
list. :-P (bleck)

So, I did not get around to checking http://www.he.net/ and a number of
others that did not publish prices. Of about 10 to 15 places, I narrowed
my search to 5, and then dropped 2 or 3 because I did not like the way
they setup their web pages. They did not "feel" right. (Cant say why.)

The *best* deal I found was for people who buy and use Cobalt 1U rack
mountable systems. It was for $79/month, 50GB/50GB with 1 system call per
month included and what sounded like an ability to remote rest your box
from one of their web pages. I did not want a cobalt box, but instead a
Dell PowerEdge 1u Server. That same company that charges $79/month for
cobalt 1U systems charges $150/month for non cobalt 1U systems under a
different name. If I went with cobalt, this would have been where I would
have gone for my colocation.
( http://www.raqshaq.com/ ) (Cobalt only)      \_ Both "same ISP"
( http://www.alwaysonline.net/ ) (non-Cobalt)  /

For general use with bandwidth throttling, I found a place for $69/month,
throttled 1.544Mbps port, 15GB/15GB and 1 service event per month for a 1U
unit.
( http://www.inforelay.com/colocation.html ) (For this rate you cant
choose to "build your own custom" rate, but must choose one of the package
deals. The packages deals seem to be better value than any of the custom
setup from their web page.)

Both of the above also charge a "setup fee" and other fees when you need a
person to reboot your boxes or install stuff or help you troubleshoot
stuff.

Sonic.net was ~$100/month for 10GB/10GB and $10/GB each month beyond the
10GB in the fee. (I finally received a response.) The advantage of sonic
over the others for me, was they are local (North Bay/Santa Rosa) and I
have liked their service and uptime. (They have a good product, and they
can and do get what they ask for their services, but I dont need 4 or 5
nine's uptime; I need cheap. This is, after all, a hobbie *not* a
business... ...yet.

Then http://www.johncompanies.com/ was 40GB/40GB, $2 or $3 per GB each
month beyond the 40, no setup fee, "unlimited tech support", $105/month
for any 1U unit. They have also been the most responsive to queries on
their service and how to make things run. Never more than 24 hours for a
response, and most responses came back within minutes to 1 hour. They also
have some rather amazing claims that would generally only be posted if the
people posting them were either :
1) uninformed and kind-of stupid               *or*
2) well informed and really know their stuff

Claims like "...we will resolve your problem within 24 hours. " and
"There are no boundaries on the questions you can ask." Sample questions
included "Problems setting up an ssh tunnel ?", "help chrooting BIND?",
"question about MTA?". Fortunately, my skillset has allowed me to do these
things on my own, but these examples questions allow me to know I can ask
similar questions on things I dont know.

They do have at least one drawback. They claim to push for 99.5% uptime.
This works out to be a mean average of service downtime of 3.6 (+/-.1)
hours per month and 44.2 (+/-.4) hours per year. (Many other sites pushed
for less. The more expensive, the greater the number of nine's.) If done
all at once (unlikely) then it is almost 2 days of permitted downtime per
year. Most of the time, in the real world, downtime is not all at once,
but spread over time with multiple problems. Also, they are behind
splitlink (sprintlink) from where I sit, which was rumored (historically)
to have oversold bandwidth in the past and known for not having the most
reliable backbone in the world. (For example, I noted access to their net
was down just a little bit ago.) I was not able to find an uptime listing
for them on netcraft.com.

Sorry to be so verbose, but the info may be helpful to others.

-ME