2002 Sep 28 20:36

[vox] [OT] Nigerian spam

Sorry for the off-topic post, but I really can't wrap my head around this.

I've been getting 'nigerian spam' pretty much daily lately.
I got three today.  Two were within 5 minutes of each other, had the same
subject line, but came from different people (and had pretty much identical
stories, except different names).

My question is - Does _anyone_ in their right mind fall for these?
I mean, once you've seen one, the rest are just cliche!  It's like a running
joke!  I almost wonder if the people sending them aren't actually trying to
make (steal) money, but rather just being trolls and spreading the crap like
chail letters, just for giggles.  ("Har har, I sent this stupid e-mail to
5000 people."  "Right on, dude!  Let's send another version with more typos!")

I can understand people falling for porn spam ("ooh! more porn!") or
maybe even some of the weightloss/breast enhancement/etc. spams.
(People are pretty sensitive in those areas, and more gullible.)

But those are _products_.

The Nigerian spams are just bizarrely-written e-mails "send in the greatest
security and confidentiality" (err, yeah... plaintext e-mail - THAT's secure).

Am I giving the typical AOLuser websurfing schmoe too much of a benefit of
a doubt?  Is humanity really the lost cause that late-night informercials and
"Mr. Jon Savimbi's" e-mails make it out to be?!

;)

-bill!
(I need to find somewhere better than vox to rant - sorry ;) )