2002 Sep 03 19:45

Re: [vox] nvidia

On Tue, Sep 03, 2002 at 02:20:02PM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> begin Dmitriy <ace22b@myrealbox.com>

[snip]
> > > the problem is that nvidia, like many other video card manufacturers,
> > > has so many damned models, it's totally confusing.
> > >
> > Well, IMO quite easy GF4 4200, 4400, 4600.
>
> you need to do some reading.  i'd suggest nvidia's website as a start.
> you'll count 7 products which call themselves part of the geforce4
> lineup.

Well, going to GeForce 4. Hmm, they List GeForce4 Ti, GF4 MX, GF4 Go.

GF4 MX is a blatant ripoff attempt as I said.  No doubt made by some
marktoid to increase sales.  GF4 Go you'll have hard time finding for
sale IMO.

Going to Ti section, and voila, 3 models.

I misunderstood you a bit.  I would say they are basic models ,
while 3rd party manufacturers try to differentiate themselves, by
imagining flashy names and adding extra features, picking better memory,
etc.  Personally, I wouldn't like Seeing Leadtek GF4 Ti 4600, Canopus
Gf4 ti 4600, along with 40 other cards which just have different company
name on the box, being just relabeled nVidia reference boards.

> [1]: see [2]
>
> however, asus alone markets 2 different versions of the geforce4 Ti4600
> and 2 different versions of the Ti4400.
>
> creative offers their own lineup.
>
> leadtek offers no less than 8 versions of a geforce4.
>
> tell me the pros and cons between the "leadtek winfast A250 ultra TDH"
> and the "creative 3D blaster 4 titanium 4600".  i'd like a comparitave
> analysis including pricing comparisons.

Sure, send them both to me, I'll have detailed descriptions, reviews,
benchmarks, etc.  Always wanted to have dmitriyshardware.com

> > What I really dislike is selling castarted GeForce 2 under label of
> > Gefroce 4 MX, which confuses many people who don't really keep up with
> > this stuff, thinking they buy real GeForce 4, while MX is nowhere near.
>
> so in the previous paragraph you said it was quite easy to keep track of
> the geforce4 models.  yet now you say it's confusing (actually, the word
> you're looking for is "misleading").

I meant real Gf 4 ti, aka NV25

> [2]: see [1]
>
> thanks for making my point for me.