2002 Sep 03 19:45

Re: [vox] question: privacy policy

Karsten,

You make some interesting points. Here are some more of my
thoughts.

1. LUGOD is an open group where membership is voluntary and
unrestricted.

Members can use a separate email address for list
communication.

2. The feasibility of restricting this information (names,
pictures and email addresses) is not high.

It does not preclude any organization from protecting it's
membership.

3. The act of selling the email list is the main point. You
cannot restrict someone mining the data from the web site.

I think that you have covered it nicely below. Keeping the
exclusion statement for other LUG's is a good idea. I think
that the officers should set the hourly price.

--- "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

This is the policy statement

>    - The LUG will not traffic directly in [commercial
exchange of] personal information:  it will not sell
membership information,     mailing list subscribers, or
other information of similar nature. There might be an
exclusion for exchange with other LUGs or FS-related
organizations such as LI, or there might be an explicit
statement that this won't happen either.

The statements below should be the explanation of the
policy and added to a privacy page.

>    - The LUG is an open organization.  Unless
specifically noted otherwise, its activities, postings,
publications, and rosters are public knowledge.
Participation in activities implies consent to written or
visual recording of these events.

>    - The LUG maintains public archives of its web site,
mailing lists, and other organs, generally available
online. These archives themselves may be duplicated or
archived elsewhere by well known or private parties (e.g.:
Google, your friendly neighborhood hacker, the Wayback
Machine).

>    - Any request to remove information from web site,
archives, mailing lists, etc., will be treated as an
extraordinary request.  It will be subject to an hourly
charge for the work involved, at a rate of $XX/hr, with a
minimum of XX hours billable, to recover costs and expense.
 [For the purposes of the group, this work might be
contracted out rather than treated as revenue directly].

-- Andy