2002 Sep 03 13:53

Re: [vox] nvidia

begin Dmitriy <ace22b@myrealbox.com>
> On Sat, Aug 31, 2002 at 07:21:55PM -0700, Matthew Johnson wrote:
> >
> > Strange, getting lots of people on other lists going to ATI...But to answer
> > your question, how much are you willing to sink on a graphics card? The top
> > is the Quadro (aimed more at proffessional video types), but I can guarantee
> > its about $400. The top of the line Nvidia card aimed at PC workstations is
> > the Geforce 4 TI 4600 is about $200.
>
> Hmm, I'd very mutch like to know where you saw Quadro for $400 and GF4
> 4600 for $200 ?
>
> It's one hell of a deal.

dmitriy,

i've been doing alot of research, and i can confirm those prices.

the quadro4, *lowest* end model can clock in as low as $400.  i've seen
the higher end models break $1500.

also, you can the geforce4 for $200, but depending on clock speed and
core chipset, can get to be $400.

the problem is that nvidia, like many other video card manufacturers,
has so many damned models, it's totally confusing.

take the geforce4.  you would expect a video card called "X" to be based
on a particular chipset.  if the company uses a different chipset, you'd
expect the video card to be called "Y".   or at least "X.1".  not so.

so, yeah.  those prices are for real, but they're for the really low end
models.

pete (who is beginning to learn more and more about nvidia hardware)