2002 Sep 02 09:23

Re: [vox] Colocation...

On Sun, 1 Sep 2002, Rod Roark wrote:
> On Sunday 01 September 2002 10:02 am, ME wrote:
> > One of the better ones is: (inforelay)
> > $69/month, 1.544Mbps, 5 IP, 15GB/month transfer, Setup waived for 4 month
> > signup, 5 minutes UPS, includes 1 "iuncident" (remote reboot) for me per
> > month
>
> I don't know of any deals better than that.  Omsoft is
> conveniently in Davis and will colo for $55/month, but they
> get expensive if you go over 5GB in a month.
>
> What I plan to do in 3-4 months (expecting to move to
> Fairfield then) is get SDSL and run my server from home.
> That will offer much more monthly bandwidth, and make it
> easy to fix any problems that may come up.

Yeah, I am in a similar boat. I plan to move into a 2 bedroom apt share
closer to the university. Use of Coloation instead of DSL affords me the
opportunity to move without the 3 week hassle of DSL setup and
reloaction. The different prices (1BR apt vs 2BR share) would go to
colocation and other fees. I found the link for
http://www.johncompanies.com/ with 1U server colocation ($105/month) in a
the total monthly cost for me (user with expectation of less than 15GB per
month - more like 4-8 GB/month) seem like an extra cost.

Another buddy showed me other deals with
http://www.raqshaq.com/colocation_raqs.html but it seems that requires the
cobalt server.

-ME