2002 Aug 26 18:29

Re: [vox] [OT] Learning to program

On Mon, 26 Aug 2002, Rod Roark wrote:

> I learned a variety of assembler/machine languages before C,
> and as a result have no problem understanding concepts such
> as pointers.
==8<--

Which assembly language did you use?  I know three assembly languages
(x86, MIPS, 6502) and all of them have some concept of pointers, usually
in parenthesis, something like:

   mov ax, (dx)    ; x86... if I remember the syntax correctly
                   ; (time to read my own assembly tutorial...)
   lw $1, 0($2)    ; MIPS
   lda (ptr),y     ; 6502

but they don't call them "pointers" but "indirect memory access" (or
something to do with being indirect)...

-Mark

--
Mark K. Kim