2002 Aug 26 18:05

Re: [vox] [OT] Learning to program

When I took intro programming course at UCD, I never met anyone who got
anything better than a B who hadn't already had programming before.
According to Dr. Bishop, even the school assumes you already had
programming before coming to UCD.  After the intro courses, many people
still suffered through (but not all -- the ones that did make it to a
respectible level worked their butts off...)  I'm not sure I would have
made it through college in one piece without the years of programming
under my belt.  The love of programming also helped; I don't think anyone
I know that went into programming because of the money ever made it
through in one piece.

An interesting note -- programming taught me English.  "print", "input",
"if", "then", "else", "let", "hello", "world", "do", "while", even
"Apple".  Of course, when I first came to the U.S. my problem was I'd
always write:

   I goto school.

-Mark

--